Venue: Committee Room 2, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, Essex, RM17 6SL.
Contact: Rhiannon Whiteley, Senior Democratic Services Officer Email: Direct.Democracy@thurrock.gov.uk
To approve as a correct record the minutes of the Cleaner, Greener and Safer Overview and Scrutiny Committee meeting held on 13 June 2023.
The minutes of the Cleaner, Greener and Safer Overview and Scrutiny Committee meeting held on 13 June 2023 were approved as a correct record.
Items of Urgent Business
To receive additional items that the Chair is of the opinion should be considered as a matter of urgency, in accordance with Section 100B (4) (b) of the Local Government Act 1972. To agree any relevant briefing notes submitted to the Committee.
There were no items of urgent business.
Declaration of Interests
No interests were declared.
Essex Police - Verbal Update
Officers clarified that the District Commander would respond to questions and provide an update as part of the next item on the Annual Report of the Community Safety Partnership. The Chair therefore moved on to the next item.
The Community Safety Partnership Manager introduced the Annual report and explained that it provides the following: -
- an opportunity to review the performance in 2022/23
- to provide an insight into priorities and activities to address them in 2023 /24
- an opportunity to pose questions to the Community Safety Partnership Manager and District Commander.
Please refer to the Committee Meeting recording which can be found on the following link to view the full presentation:
Members raised the following key points: -
- Members queried what they can do to help promote the activity of the Community Safety Partnership and what role members should play in encouraging reporting.
- Members queried with the District Commander what advice can be given to residents to prevent their cars from being stolen. The District Commander encouraged residents to report off-road biking, Anti-social behaviour, littering to members and the police through online reporting. If residents see a motorbike on the pavement, they should call 999 as that could cause injuries. If the police don’t receive information they cannot respond. The District Commander explained that they received 25 reports of bikes on Orsett Heath so resources were directed there, a child was injured in Chadwell St Mary and unfortunately only one report had been received of off-road bikes in that area in the past 6 months when in fact residents have since reported occurrences are much more frequent than what has been reported. The police direct resources based on reports and data received.
- The Head of Community Safety, Emergency Planning and Resilience added that reports and intelligence can also be used to apply for funding.
- The District Commander confirmed through the Essex Police website residents can report matters to the police online instead of using 101 or 999.
- Essex Police have a Facebook and Twitter page where they publicise what they are doing including engagement events, highlight good stories and witness appeals.
- Members were advised that crime prevention advice is given at engagement events. Neil Brand is the Community Safety Engagement Officer who attends the ‘Let’s Talk’ events.
- Members were advised that there has been a 16.4% rise in vehicle crime. The Lakeside car parks are a hotspot.
- The District Commander advised that residents do not keep valuables in their car or on display, make sure their car is locked, turn off the keyless setting and keep keys away from the front of your house so the signal cannot be boosted.
- Members queried if petrol cars were being targeted over Diesel cars due to ULEZ. The District Commander responded that he did not have that data.
- Members raised that Anti-Social Behaviour has reduced according to the data but residents feel it has increased, members queried if this could be a result of residents now been scared of the repercussions in reporting. The District Commander clarified that the Police are data led. ... view the full minutes text for item 32.
The Chair requested a bi-annual report from the Community Safety Partnership.
The Chair requested a waste strategy update.
The committee members requested that a representative from the Clean and Green Service attend the next meeting.