Venue: Committee Room 2, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, Essex, RM17 6SL.
Contact: Jenny Shade, Principal Democratic Services Officer Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Urgent Items of Business
There were no urgent items of business.
Declarations of Interest
There were no declarations of interest.
To approve the minutes of the Delivery of Private and Housing Stock Task and Finish Group held on the 16 August 2023.
The minutes of the Delivery of Private and Housing Stock Task and Finish Group held on 16 August 2023 were approved as a correct record.
Lessons Learnt from Purfleet Regeneration and TRL - Powerpoint
Members were provided with a verbal update on
lessons learnt from Purfleet Regeneration and Thurrock Regeneration
Limited (TRL). This included other local authorities who had
completed regeneration and housing projects; what housing companies
could deliver; and issues that arisen with Purfleet Centre
Regeneration Limited (PCRL) and TRL. For example, a lack of clarity
around the companies purpose,
under-resourcing, and lack of skills. Officers were now looking
ahead to the future of the companies and any proposed regeneration
· Members felt that concerns had been raised at the time regarding TRL and PCRL, and these had been ignored.
· Members questioned if the Council had enough internal capacity to identify systemic weaknesses in companies such as TRL and PCRL.
· Members compared the work of other local authorities in regards to regeneration, and the differences in set-up between their regeneration companies and TRL.
· Members discussed the future of Purfleet-on-Thames, and if current design proposals should continue.
· Members agreed the need for an external and independent gateway review of major projects.
· Members agreed that residents and Ward Members needed to be consulted more widely and more regularly regarding planned development in their area.
· Members agreed that adequate planning enforcement should be required, for both large and small issues, and developers should adhere closely to the design guides issued by Thurrock Council.
· Members requested a lessons learnt document regarding PCRL, which could be shared with the Housing O&S Committee.
A briefing note regarding lessons learnt from
PCRL is prepared by officers and circulated with the Housing
O&S Committee. If this is not completed by the beginning of the
new 2024/25 municipal year, the briefing note will be sent to the
relevant O&S Committee under the new structure.
Future of the Task & Finish Group
A discussion was held around the future of the Task and Finish Group, taking into consideration the proposed changes to the overview and scrutiny function in 2024/25 and the outcomes of the group so far.
The following points were raised:
· Members discussed the upcoming closure of the Local Plan consultation, and wanted to ensure that responses were analysed and shared with Members.
· Members agreed that the new overview and scrutiny structure should include regular work regarding the Local Plan, so members of the public could be made aware of any updates.
· Members considered the work of the Task and Finish Group so far, and the difficulty of holding meetings due to the busy municipal calendar.
Members asked that the Task and Finish Group be disbanded, following agreement from Housing O&S, but the Chair of the relevant O&S Committee in 2024/25 is informed of the Task and Finish Group’s work for their consideration within the Work Programme.
1. O&S Officers will write a report/briefing note to the Housing O&S Committee, asking for their agreement to disband the Task and Finish Group. The Chair of PTR O&S will also be informed.
The full recording of this meeting can be viewed from the following link: