Agenda and minutes

Waste Management Working Group
Wednesday, 28th August, 2019 10.00 am

Venue: Bywaters, Lea Riverside, Twelvetrees Crescent, London, E3 3JG

Contact: Jenny Shade, Senior Democratic Services Officer  Email: Direct.Democracy@thurrock.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

Site Visit to Bywaters

Minutes:

Members undertook a site tour of Bywaters London's premier recycling and waste management company to see the company’s waste services and recycling solutions. David Rumble, Strategic Development from Bywaters provided Members with some useful information on the heritage of the company and the facilities provided to Thurrock Council. Two of Thurrock collection trucks were unloaded at the time of the visit so Members could see the actual process being undertaken. There was an opportunity for Members to ask questions.

2.

Elect Chair

Minutes:

The Senior Democratic Services Officer outlined the process for the nomination and election of Chair.

 

Councillor Fletcher and Councillor Van Day volunteered themselves for the position of Chair to which Members voted in favour of Councillor Fletcher with three votes to two. Members agreed to this nomination.

 

Members agreed that there should be a Vice Chair and Councillor Byrne was elected with three votes to two. Members agreed to this nomination.

 

 

RESOLVED:

 

Councillor Fletcher was appointed as Chair and Councillor Byrne was appointed as Vice Chair of the Waste Management Working Group.

3.

Items of Urgent Business

Minutes:

There were no items of urgent business.

4.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

5.

Terms of Reference pdf icon PDF 49 KB

Minutes:

Members agreed to the Terms of Reference.

6.

Agree Actions

Minutes:

Chris Stannard, Partner from Waste Consulting LLP provided members with a waste consultancy presentation on Thurrock’s waste service, overview of current costs and recycling performance. Provided an overview of National Waste Strategy and Legislation and comparisons of Thurrock’s waste service methodology and performance to high performing authorities.

 

Members were asked to consider whether a public consultation should be undertaken on the future plans of recycling.

 

Councillor Byrne suggested that Members undertake a “walk around” on a collection service route for Members to understand what problems are being experienced by Loaders.

 

Members questioned commercial solutions in the borough and how the services being offered to businesses could be improved.

 

Members agreed that the Household Bulky Waste could be improved and make the process more straightforward.

 

Members stated that the process for Trade Waste should be looked into.

 

Members questioned how the Vehicle Permit Scheme at the Linford Household Waste and Recycling Centre was performing.

 

Members agreed that an important factor was the educating of residents on how to recycle and how the importance of the recycling process was and could potentially result in lowering council tax.

 

Members suggested a visit to a high performing unitary authority. Action Point – Marcelle Puttergill and Chris Stannard to make enquiries on whether this would be feasible.

 

Members requested to see any further available waste documentation provided by DEFRA. Action Point – Marcelle Puttergill agreed to look into this and provide to Members at the next meeting.

 

Members were reminded that this was an opportunity for the Waste Management Working Group to make a real change to waste services in the area, improve the recycling performance and environmental aspirations of the Authority and potentially deliver significant financial savings in  their thought and recommendation process.

 

Members agreed that looking at commercial opportunities  was just as important as saving money for the Council.

 

Members agreed to meet on the 4 September 2019 at 7.00pm at the Civic Offices to discuss the DEFRA waste documentation, agree on further activities and set future meeting dates.