Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Councillor Worrall, Cabinet Member for Housing, introduced the report which explained that on 20 April 2015 new statutory rules called the “Right to Move” came into force, which meant that Thurrock Council could not disqualify someone from joining their housing register on the grounds of no local connection where they meet certain criteria, which included:
· The person is already a social housing tenant (Council or Registered Provider tenant) in another borough in England, and;
· They have a need to move to Thurrock to avoid hardship, and;
· They need to move to Thurrock because they either already work in Thurrock, or;
· They need to take up an offer of work in Thurrock.
Members were informed that the Council could restrict the number of properties allocated under the new rules to an agreed annual quota, which was at least 1% of relets, and in June 2015 the Housing Overview and Scrutiny Committee recommended that Cabinet agree the annual quota be set at 1% of the preceding years housing allocations which would represent 6 properties per year.
Councillor B. Rice questioned whether the 1% quota would mean that some properties are left empty, to which it was confirmed this would not be the case and applications would be dealt with as they were received.
Councillor Worrall confirmed that to date no applications had been received under the Right to Move scheme.
1. That the new “Right to Move” regulations be noted.
2. Cabinet approve the annual quota of properties to be allocated under the new provisions be set at 1% of all Council housing allocations for the preceding year (1st April to 31st March) with the provision that officers endeavour to seek mutual exchanges, where possible, to mitigate the impact on levels of Thurrock Council housing stock.
Reason for Decision - as stated in the report
This decision is subject to call-in
Report author: Dermot Moloney
Publication date: 16/10/2015
Date of decision: 14/10/2015
Decided at meeting: 14/10/2015 - Cabinet
Effective from: 24/10/2015