Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Cabinet Member for Education and Health started by praising the work of the Director of Public Health and his team for all of the hard work they have carried out.
He continued by informing Cabinet that the data produced and collected can be used to look at hospital admittance, to see if primary care given could have or should have been improved. The data could also be used to see if hospital admittance by ambulance was for genuine reasons or as a taxi service for an appointment.
Councillor Halden mentioned that working alongside the local Sustainability Transformation Plan (STP) allowed for transforming the Health Service and the Cabinet Member advised he was working with his counterparts at Southend Borough Council and Essex County Council.
It was mentioned by the Leader that it was important to analyse data, so to ensure that past mistakes were not repeated.
1. That Members noted and support the contents and recommendations made in the report and support its publication.
2. That Members support political leadership across the local Health and Social Care system and through our local Sustainability and Transformation Plan (STP) to deliver the report’s recommendations. These include:
· Delivery of a new model of Primary Care to address under-doctoring and capacity issues.
· Mechanisms to case find and diagnose patients with long term conditions.
· Significant improvement of the management of long term conditions in Primary Care including the implementation a GP Long Term Conditions Management Scorecard.
· Recommendations to reduce inappropriate A&E attendances and avoidable A&E admissions.
· Recommendations to reduce delayed transferred of care from the NHS to Adult Social Care.
3. That members agreed that the recommendations from the Annual Public Health Report be mixed within a “Principles Document’ to form a “Thurrock Ask” from NHS England.
4. That members support the proposed re-procurement of a new Integrated Healthy Lifestyles Service with a stronger focus on young people’s health in order to break generational health inequalities.
5. That the Health and Wellbeing Board acts as the Primary Delivery Arm for implementing the recommendations within this report, and the objectives within the Health and Wellbeing Strategy.
Reason for Decision - as stated in the report
This decision is subject to call-in
Report author: Roger Harris
Publication date: 20/12/2016
Date of decision: 14/12/2016
Decided at meeting: 14/12/2016 - Cabinet
Effective from: 30/12/2016