Decision Maker: Cabinet
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To approve the submission of applications to European Social Fund (ESF) and European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) for a Tilbury-based programme tackling barriers to employment and entrenched deprivation and social challenges, with total value £6.6m of which £3.3m will be from European Funding, and £3.3m from a variety of match funding identified with delivery partners.
The Cabinet Member for Regeneration presented the report to Members and in doing so, highlighted the following:
· Community Led Local Development (CLLD) focused on the areas with high levels of deprivation and the two Tilbury wards. Tilbury St Chads, Tilbury Riverside & Thurrock Park had been identified as having amongst the highest levels of deprivation in the borough; and
· At the same time providing a contiguous area that included significant and emerging employment opportunities through the expansion of Tilbury Port.
Councillor Coxshall commented that the 5 strategic actions of the strategy were:
· Supporting local people to access local jobs.
· Tackling the barriers facing people furthest from the labour market.
· Stimulating local businesses, SME’s, micro-enterprises and social enterprises.
· Improving local infrastructure for residents and businesses.
· Encouraging local civic action, pride and volunteering as routes into work.
The Leader commented that volunteering was not an easy option however it could assist with gaining employment.
1. That Cabinet noted the priorities and strategic actions identified within the CLLD strategy; and
2. Given in principle approval that the Council takes on the role of the Accountable Body in the full applications to the EU funding streams.
Reason for Decision - as stated in the report
This decision is subject to call-in
Report author: Steve Cox (Corporate Director Place)
Publication date: 20/12/2016
Date of decision: 14/12/2016
Decided at meeting: 14/12/2016 - Cabinet
Effective from: 30/12/2016